Regional variable electricity tariffs
This table provides indicative regional variable electricity tariffs in New Zealand.
This information is intended to be used in the solar tool only. Please read this information carefully.
How to use this data in the solar tool
- Enter the indicative variable tariff for your region into the variable electricity tariff field in the solar tool.
- Ensure the prompt payment discount field is left at 0.
- Click ‘Yes’ to ‘Does this tariff include GST?’.
Key information and assumptions
These are indicative tariff values only. They are inclusive of GST and include a prompt payment discount. These values do not represent true average or median prices, and are meant only as an indication of the overall variable costs consumers in each region may pay for electricity.
These prices are sourced from the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment. They are the result of modelling electricity consumption costs for a model low user customer over a sample of retail tariffs within each region. In reality, consumption and pricing plans vary significantly across households. If you have a large household or are not on a low user plan, it is recommended that you instead refer to your electricity bill or company.
Key assumptions of the modelling
- The user is on a low user retail plan that has both fixed and variable charge components.
- The user consumes 8000 kWh of electricity per year, or approximately 22 kWh per day.
- The user pays their bill on time and receives any available prompt payment discounts, including electronic or online-only discounts.
- The user solely uses electricity for water heating and has a ripple-controlled electricity meter.
- For areas where retail tariffs are inclusive of lines charge rebates, this rebate is added back as a variable component of the retail tariff.
Regional electricity tariffs in NZ
|Location||Lines Company||Indicative Variable Tariff (cents/kWh)|
|Auckland North Shore||Vector||28|
|Whakatane||Horizon Energy (Urban)||29|
|Otorohanga||The Lines Company||No data available - please talk to your electricity provider|
|Taumaranui||The Lines Company||No data available - please talk to your electricity provider|
|Wellington City||Wellington Electricity Lines||27|
|Balclutha||OtagoNet Joint Venture||39|
|Winton||The Power Company||32|